A LEAD designer has been appointed for Glasgow’s £21.4million Avenues Plus project.
Avenues Plus will add to the Avenues programme in the city centre to link with neighbouring communities, promoting active travel and increasing connectivity.
Ironside Farrar Limited has been recently chosen as the lead designer to work across the four locations on this project:
• Duke Street (High Street to Bellgrove Street) and John Knox Street (Castle Street to Duke Street)
• Dobbie’s Loan (North Hanover Street to Canal Street)
• South Portland Street (Carlton Place to Norfolk Street)
• Cowcaddens Road (Cambridge Street to North Hanover Street)
The full construction of these avenues is expected to be completed by 2026, which will include the following:
• Safer, accessible and well-connected routes to and from the city centre to facilitate local journeys by foot, cycling and wheeling.
• High quality urban realm including segregated cycle routes and wider pedestrian areas with an inclusive design.
• Provision of green infrastructure such as rain gardens and trees.
• Community engagement programme with an inclusive design process
• Behavioural change programme to address barriers to active travel and facilitate active travel.
• Secure cycle storage facilities across the city centre and surrounding areas.
Avenues Plus is supported by Transport Scotland via Sustrans’s Places for Everyone programme and in collaboration with the Glasgow City Region City Deal.
Councillor Susan Aitken, leader of Glasgow City Council, said: “The Avenues Plus programme is a key part of our plans to make the city centre and neighbouring communities more attractive, healthier and sustainable places that are easier to get to and around.
“The appointment of a lead designer marks the next stage in the development of a project that reconnects the city centre to the neighbourhoods on its fringes.”
Chiquita Elvin, head of programme, Places for Everyone for Sustrans said: “Glasgow Avenues Plus delivers safe and accessible walking, wheeling and cycling routes at a vital time for the people of Glasgow.
“By neatly linking in with our other projects in the city, including the South City Way and Connecting Woodside, Glasgow Avenues Plus will support cleaner air, healthier people and more enjoyable journeys for everyone.”