A HISTORIC fountain in Glasgow City Centre — well known for its tilt — is to undergo restoration work.
A condition survey of the Cameron Memorial Fountain at Charing Cross is being carried out to see what repairs are necessary.
As part of the study, the council is appealing for anyone with old photos of the landmark to send them to ListedBuildings@glasgow.gov.uk with the email subject CMF or Cameron Memorial Fountain.
The fountain, in Woodside Crescent, sat in front of the Grand Hotel which was demolished in 1969 along with many other buildings in Charing Cross to make way for the new M8 construction works.
It recently suffered from loss of tiles to the roof structure and the surrounding area was fenced off as a precaution.
The fountain was built in honour of the newspaper editor and politician Sir Charles Cameron (1841-1925), who was editor of the North British Daily Mail in Glasgow and a successful Liberal politician.
He was one of the leaders of the Temperance Movement, involved in the acts for the reform of Scottish liquor laws.
He was present at the inauguration of the fountain with his wife Lady Cameron on 24 October 1896.
The fountain is well-known for its lean, which was first noted nearly 100 years ago in 1926 when the West End News and Partick Advertiser wrote that the tilt had been reported to the Master of Works at Glasgow Corporation, as the fountain was “leaning and could fall down”.
Checks were made then and at regular intervals until the onset of war in 1939. Further measurements and checks are understood to have taken place in 1974 and in 1995, when a cost was also established to straighten the fountain.
In an exuberant Baroque style, the Category B listed terracotta fountain was designed by the architect Robert Bryden of Clarke and Bell and Mr Lightbody of Doulton & Co. Two identical portrait medallions of Cameron by the sculptor George Tinworth are found to the north and south sides.