PEOPLE, businesses and organisations can find out more about the forthcoming Avenues Plus active travel project at an event this week.
Avenues Plus is a £21.4million which will make routes between Glasgow city centre and surrounding communities more people-friendly, tying in with the city centre Avenues programme.
The event is on South Portland Street on Thursday (26 May) from 10am to 3pm and will feature workshops, tea/coffee, the Dr Bike service to provide bike maintenance, and the opportunity to try e-cargo bikes.
There will be information stalls until 6.30pm providing the opportunity for informal discussion about proposals for the South Portland Street area.
Teams from the Avenues project and active travel organisation Sustrans will be in attendance as well as the the design consultant.
Avenues Plus will see the creation of high-quality walking and cycling links at:
• Duke Street (High Street to Bellgrove Street) and John Knox Street (Castle Street to Duke Street)
• Dobbie’s Loan (North Hanover Street to Canal Street)
• South Portland Street (Carlton Place to Norfolk Street)
• Cowcaddens Road (Cambridge Street to North Hanover Street)
Construction is expected to begin in summer 2024, and be completed by spring 2026.
The project will feature:
• Safer, accessible and well-connected routes to and from the city centre to facilitate local journeys by foot, cycling and wheeling.
• High quality urban realm including segregated cycle routes and wider pedestrian areas with an inclusive design.
• Provision of green infrastructure such as rain gardens and trees.
• Community engagement programme with an inclusive design process
• Behavioural change programme to address barriers to active travel and facilitate active travel.
• Secure cycle storage facilities across the city centre and surrounding areas.
Avenues Plus is supported by Transport Scotland via Sustrans’ Places for Everyone programme and in collaboration with the Glasgow City Region City Deal.
Councillor Susan Aitken, leader of Glasgow City Council, said: “The fundamental aim of the Avenues Plus project is to make the areas featuring these Avenues more attractive, healthier and sustainable — and easier to get to and around.
“This event offers a great opportunity to find out more about Avenues Plus and what the project will mean for the city centre and neighbouring communities.”