THE landmark B-listed former Castlemilk West Church was demolished this week.
Permission was given earlier this year for 36 flats for social rent to be built on the site, bounding Carmunnock Road, Glenacre Street and Glenacre Terrace.
The church was constructed in the late 1950s and was known locally as Noah’s Ark.
Demolition was approved by Glasgow City Council in 2012 on condition it only took place if a definite plan for the site was confirmed, including planning consent and signed contracts.
Permission was given after it was shown that repairs would cost £320,000, that there was no market interest for the structure and that converting it would in any case lead to the loss of many original features.
Historic Environment Scotland’s statement of special interest for the building described it as a “powerful composition, redolent of Festival of Britain detailing, echoing, for example, the lines of the Royal Festival Hall, London, 1951”.
It added: “The design makes clear and effective reference to a symbolic ‘ark’ and apparently the church is referred to as such.”
When city officials renewed demolition consent in 2018 they stated: “The building itself is typical of 1950s architecture and incorporates key features such at its arc roof design.
“Over the recent decades, the building has fallen into disrepair and is currently in poor condition. An obvious example of this is the loss of the central spire in recent years.”