JD Wetherspoon plan to open a pub with room to cater for hundreds of people in a historic building on Glasgow’s South Side.
The company has applied to make alterations to premises in Moss Side Road, Shawlands.
The A-listed building opened as the Waverley Picture House in 1922. It was later used as a bingo hall and snooker club and more recently was the Tusk bar/nightclub and the Waverley tearoom.
A drawing included with J D Wetherspoon’s application shows seating for more than 350 people.
A heritage statement explains that the proposed alterations are all internal and consist mainly of enlarging the kitchen, creation of a new bar and removal of existing bars and improvements to the toilet provision.
A new accessibility lift will be installed to ensure that wheelchair users can access the majority of the ground floor.
The statement continues: “The proposal will also restore and re-expose many original features like the columns that had previously been boxed in.
“The applicant will invest a considerable sum in the repair and restoration of building.”
Around 50 jobs, full and part-time, will be created.
The proposed changes are being assessed by Glasgow planners.