A PROMINENT Glasgow City Centre office block is set for a major face-lift and refurbishment, with a coffee shop and cycling facilities among the changes.
Hanover House, at the junction of Cadogan Street and Douglas Street, will be rebranded as The Ink Building under the proposals — the site was formerly occupied by the Aird & Coghill printing house, constructed in 1899.
If approved by city planners, external changes will include painting the facade, installing new glazing and removing a glazed extension. Inside, a more open entrance space will be created along with a ground floor retail/coffee shop.
How the building is expected to look
A design statement by architects Stallan-Brand states: “Built in the 1980s, the overall form of Hanover House addresses its corner location without currently creating a strong connection at street level.
“By enhancing the levels of glazing it will significantly improve the sense of connection and will enhance the corner — welcoming staff and visitors into the development.
“In simplifying the glazing and strengthening the character of the brick elements, the elegant vertical expression of the existing form is enhanced.
“Increasing the extent of glazing will make the building feel significantly more open, and along with the black painted brickwork, will present a significantly more contemporary presence within Glasgow’s burgeoning IFSD (International Financial Services District).”
The building’s reception area will be extended and will have double height space. The coffee shop/retail unit will be accessed via the main entrance lobby.
In the basement, racks for around 30 bikes will be installed along with changing areas, lockers, showers and toilets.
Upper floors will also be refurbished including new heating, lighting and ventilation.