HOTEL use is being proposed for a vacant B-listed building in the Merchant City.
A change-of-use application has been submitted for premises on the corner of Glassford Street and Wilson Street.
The building, which dates from 1908, was last used as a restaurant — Mamafubu — at basement and ground floor; chef’s training school and licensed delicatessen at first floor; and ancillary office space at the second, third, and fourth floors.
A statement included with the application explains: “This proposal will create a 31-bed hotel with a bar and reception area on the ground floor and a small kitchen area within the basement.
“The bar will be open to both customers and members of the public, with the kitchen providing food to the bar as well as room service.”
There will be no alterations to either frontage, along Glassford Street or Wilson Street.
The application is pending consideration by city planners.
Permission was previously given in 2008 for the building to be used as a hotel although this was not implemented.
A neighbouring listed building is being lined up for use as a back-packers’ hostel and another historic building close by has also received hotel consent.