PLANNING permission is being sought for more than 80 flats at a north Glasgow junior football club’s former ground.
Merchant Homes Ltd and Advance Construction (Scotland) Ltd have lodged an application involving land on the west side of Southloch Street, Springburn, formerly the location of Petershill Juniors FC’s stadium.
Eighty-four one and two-bedroom flats for social rent are proposed. There would be four blocks of flats, each with four storeys.
There would be 63 vehicle parking spaces.
A design statement included with the application lists the development’s core principles as:
• Complete the urban block by continuing the building line from the adjacent tenement buildings on Petershill Road
• Activate the street by bringing life onto the existing blank edge along Southloch Street
• Repair the urban fabric by investing in the area and adding high-quality housing for social rent
• Create a new gateway entrance into the site by positioning buildings at the entrance to follow the natural desire lines to continues through the site towards Petershill Park
• Enhance views into and out of the site by creating dual aspect flat layouts
• Use planting to soften the edges of the development and retain existing trees and greenery wherever possible
• Reduce the reliance on cars as the site is well located for public transport links
A previous proposal by North Glasgow Housing Association for 80 flats was approved in 2010.
Petershill Juniors moved to a new stadium built as part of a community leisure development on an adjacent site in 2007.